Things to pay attention to when measuring blood pressure
Principles blood pressure is to inflate a rubber armband, decompress an artery, and then gradually deflate and record the arterial response. Systolic and diastolic blood pressure readings help doctors assess whether a patient has high blood pressure. For the most accurate blood pressure measurement, keep the following in mind:
- Do not eat, smoke, or exercise for at least 30 minutes before measuring. When measuring, you must be comfortable mentally, avoiding stress will increase blood pressure, so you should sit and relax for about 15 minutes.
- When measuring right brachial artery, when measuring, you must raise your sleeve, do not hold your hand tightly, place your hand at the height of your heart because this is the position of the blood pressure level that usually takes place every day.
- The arm cuff should cover at least 80% of the arm of the person being measured, it should be wrapped close to the skin of the hand or can be wrapped over a thin layer of clothing.
- It is recommended to measure at least 2-3 times, each time 3 minutes apart. The exact blood pressure reading is the average of two to three measurements.
- Do not talk and move while measuring blood pressure, as this will affect the accuracy of the measurement results.
What to check for high blood pressure?
High blood pressure is the leading cause of heart attack, stroke, and even death for patients, but high blood pressure has almost no signs of recognition. That’s why high blood pressure is also known as the “silent killer”. The only way to know if you have high blood pressure is through having your blood pressure checked regularly. This is especially important if you have a loved one who also has high blood pressure. High blood pressure is extremely dangerous, so the patient need to go to the doctor regularly for:
- Check kidney function: Measure the amount of urea in the urine, the amount of potassium in the blood …
- Blood test: Measures blood sugar, calcium, uric acid and cholesterol levels.
- Electrocardiogram measurement.
- Chest X-ray.
Diet of patients with high blood pressure
In the treatment of hypertension, proper nutrition is an important factor, contributing to the effectiveness of treatment. Therefore, nutrition for people with hypertension is also a current concern. Along with oral antihypertensive tablets, proper nutrition also plays a role in good blood pressure control. Therefore, in the diet of hypertensive patients, it is advisable to reduce foods containing fat and salt, and limit the intake of alcoholic beverages such as wine and beer. Increase foods such as whole grains, shrimp, fish, beans, nuts, etc. Eat a lot vegetables, cereals Helps reduce fat, regulate blood pressure. In particular, eat a variety of foods such as:
- Celery: Has vasodilator, diuretic and blood pressure lowering effects.
- Chamomile: Has the effect of clearing the mind and reducing blood pressure.
- Water spinach: Has the effect of maintaining the osmotic pressure of the vessel wall and keeping blood pressure within normal limits.
- Bamboo shoots: Has the effect of activating blood, enhancing physical strength, diuretic, preventing cancer.
- Tomato: Has the effect of preventing high blood pressure, especially when bleeding occurs in the fundus.
- Carrot: Has the effect of softening the vessel wall, regulating dyslipidemia and stabilizing blood pressure.
Why do patients have to regularly measure blood pressure?
Blood pressure This is the only way to know if you have high blood pressure. According to the definition of the World Health Organization, it is called hypertension when the systolic blood pressure is equal to or above 140 mmHg and the diastolic blood pressure is equal to or above 90 mmHg. A feature of blood pressure is that there is a large variation within and between days. Therefore, the diagnosis of hypertension must be based on multiple measurements at different times.
High blood pressure is a dangerous disease, regularly measuring blood pressure will help patients have more knowledge about prevention, to help monitor the treatment process. Regular blood pressure measurement will make patients proactively aware of their status, no longer feel worried about disease pressure, and be more responsible for controlling their own blood pressure with a well-balanced diet. improvement, physical activity, and appropriate medication use.
Learn about high blood pressure
Blood pressure is the force exerted by the blood on the walls of the arteries, and high blood pressure is a condition in which blood circulates under a persistently elevated pressure. If the pressure is too high, the heart has to work harder to pump blood around the body. Therefore, it is very easy to cause heart attacks, kidney damage and lead to strokes. High blood pressure is common in people who are obese, overweight, the elderly, people with diabetes, people with high blood fat. But not because of that, we can say that our blood pressure is still normal. It is necessary to pay attention to the blood pressure index regularly, to avoid causing unfortunate consequences. A normal blood pressure level is 120/80 mm Hg. Blood pressure readings TU 140/90 mm Hg or more has high blood pressure.
Although high blood pressure often takes place in silence, without any obvious signs, but it is important to watch for the following symptoms: dizziness, lightheadedness, severe headache, fatigue, chest pain, vomiting, vision problems and other breathing problems. High blood pressure (or hypertension) is a chronic disease where the pressure of the blood against the walls of the arteries is too high. High blood pressure puts a lot of pressure on the heart (increases the burden on the heart) and is the cause of many serious cardiovascular complications such as: cerebrovascular accident, heart failure, coronary heart disease, myocardial infarction. …
There are several main types of hypertension, including:
- Idiopathic (or primary, hypertensive disease): no specific cause, accounts for up to 90% of cases
- Secondary hypertension (High blood pressure is a symptom of some other disease): Associated with some diseases of the kidneys, arteries, heart valve disease and some endocrine diseases.
- Isolated systolic hypertension: When only systolic blood pressure rises while diastolic blood pressure is normal.
- Hypertension during pregnancy, including gestational hypertension and pre-eclampsia: Warning for some cardiovascular risks during pregnancy.
Dosage regimen of patients with high blood pressure
For high blood pressure patients, in addition to lifestyle changes, it is necessary to adhere to treatment and follow-up appointments according to the doctor’s appointment. to keep blood pressure under control to avoid serious complications and complications. It is okay to take blood pressure tablets before or after eating because the blood pressure pills are prepared to be taken without regard to meals, will not affect the stomach. There are people who have a habit of just waking up, measuring their blood pressure and recording it in a monitoring book, and then taking the pill is not a problem. Patients with high blood pressure should note:
- Use life-long antihypertensive tablets to lower blood pressure to a tolerable level, and at the same time pay attention to protect the heart, brain, kidneys…
- Do not take many pills with different effects at the same time, it will cause bad reactions.
- Drinking improperly will cause unfortunate consequences.
- It is necessary to choose the appropriate type of oral pill, with long-term effect, it is best to follow the instructions of the doctor.
People with high blood pressure need to exercise regularly
Physical training through sports activities is an indispensable part of the process of lifestyle changes and treatment of hypertension.. However, depending on the stage, patients with hypertension should pursue some appropriate exercises to balance their blood pressure levels. In addition to knowledge about exercise according to each stage of the disease, people with high blood pressure also need to note a few things to keep themselves motivated and maximize the blood pressure balance within the allowable threshold.
- Should participate in manual labor at an appropriate level to improve physical fitness, make blood vessels around the muscles dilate, reduce fatigue for the brain, and limit hypertension.
- Mental workers should spend a certain amount of time relaxing and doing light activities.
- Regularly practice sports with appropriate exercises and movements.
- If possible, go to yoga centers to improve health, improve resistance, and prevent disease.
People with high blood pressure should drink a lot of water
Maintaining normal blood pressure in the body is not easy at all. When you don’t drink enough water, your body compensates by retaining sodium. This is a danger because sodium is directly linked to high blood pressure. While the body continues to store salt and water, persistent dehydration causes the body to gradually block the capillaries. The capillary system is a network of small blood vessels where nutrients, gases and wastes carry out their metabolic cycle. This leads to increased pressure on the arteries and leads to increased blood pressure. Therefore, patients with high blood pressure should pay attention to:
- Drink 1,5-2 liters of water per day.
- Don’t wait until you are thirsty to drink because if you are a person with high blood pressure, dehydration can increase the risk for both the heart and the brain.
- Many elderly people lose their sense of thirst, so when caring for them, they must remember to give water little by little and spread throughout the day.
- Breastfeeding women need to drink about 3 liters of water, milk and broth every day.
Things people with high blood pressure need to pay attention to about their daily lifestyle
Cold weather is a very unfavorable factor for people with high blood pressure. Therefore, People with high blood pressure need to know how to keep warm, especially keep their head, neck, and feet warm. Avoid sudden temperature changes, the body cannot adapt in time leading to cerebrovascular accident, myocardial infarction. People with high blood pressure should not wake up too early, according to statistics there are many strokes or heart attacks in the morning in the elderly, who have a habit of early morning exercise. Because after a night, the body is often less responsive to external changes, blood vessels are less elastic and blood circulation is poorer. If you get up too early, when you step out into the cold wind, your blood pressure will rise, which is the cause of stroke and heart attack. People with high blood pressure need to pay attention to a few things about their daily lifestyle:
- Eat right, sleep right.
- Avoid overwork, stress, stress, always keep the spirit comfortable and relaxed.
- Limit the use of products with harmful stimulants such as alcohol, beer, tobacco…
- People 40 and older should limit their intake of foods high in cholesterol.
What should people with high blood pressure pay attention to in meals?
Hypertension It is a common disease, especially in the elderly. It is also one of the main causes of death or disability among cardiovascular diseases. In the treatment of high blood pressure, in addition to taking medication as directed by the doctor, it is necessary to follow a reasonable diet and exercise. At the same time, during meals should note:
- Eat slowly, chew well.
- Should eat more in the morning, in the evening should reduce the portion.
- You can fast for one day a week and replace it with juice.
- Reduce portion sizes, do not eat too full and do not starve.
Leave a Reply