City post office
Located on the central street of Nguyen Tri Phuong, Hai Phong Post Office located in a complex of unique architectural works influenced by colonial architecture, contributing to the urban beauty that has long been famous for the interference between ancient and modern of Hai Phong city. This is one of the few administrative office buildings that is still preserved intact and retains the same function as when it was built during the French colonial period.
Hai Phong Post Office Building was built by the French in 1905. The architecture is European style combined with Asian decoration. The façade is impressively decorated with a sloping tiled roof system, a simple but equally sophisticated large clock shape with tall windows on both sides. The simple neoclassical architectural style is used to exploit the characteristics of the symmetrical layout, showing the surface and grandeur through the main sides with square architectural blocks, focusing on decoration through the border and alternating brick walls. The location of the building is also a highlight in the overall planning space. The two sides of the building face to the sides with wide windows and doors with curved ends combined with a system of pillars and embossed motifs that add to the massiveness and solemnity of the building’s architecture.
Not only bringing unique cultural and architectural beauty, Hai Phong post office It also has valuable historical value. In 1876, the French opened Hai Phong and Qui Nhon Post Offices, after similar facilities were opened in Saigon and Hanoi. The first stamps in our country were issued in 1864, square shaped with eagles of all sizes and types. The day of mailing and receiving mail is usually conducted quite seriously. The Hai Phong – Hanoi interprovincial telephone was officially available on April 19, 04. Hai Phong Post Office Born early, it has contributed to ensuring smooth communication, connecting Hai Phong with other important provinces in the country. It can be said that Hai Phong Post Office is one of the four most modern post offices in our country at the time. at that time.
Along with the City Theater, Flower Shop, City Museum,… central post office has created a special relic complex, becoming an irreplaceable symbol in the hearts of Hai Phong people.
Coming to Hai Phong, one of the places that many tourists, especially foreigners, stop by is flower shop in the city center. Flower shop brings unique values of architecture, great history and its role in the spiritual life of the people of the port city. Many people question when coming to this famous tourist destination, why is it called flower shop but not a florist or a flower market. One of the explanations associated with the long-standing thinking of Hai Phong people, flower shop It is not only a place to sell flowers but also a beauty of culture, customs and people of Hai Phong. Right from the early days of construction, the flower shop used for the purpose of selling flowers for festivals, holidays, and cultural performances at the Opera House (now the City Theater).
Flower shopa is a work built by the French in 1944. During the time when the French colonialists still dominated our country, manager Luciani was in charge of the general design and the Gothic highway was in charge of the artistic design of the flower shop. However, the flower shop still has ancient architecture in the form of a traditional Vietnamese house. In particular, the most obvious mark of this architecture is the 4 large pillars creating a balance. The truss system is the simplicity of the “stacking” way. The roof system of the flower shop with the roof bank is shaped like a 4-petal lemon flower radiating to the east, west, south and north. The strip runs from the roof down to form a sharp angle rising up high, curving. The entire roof is covered with dragon scale tiles. 4 flower shops, each shop has an area of nearly 5m20, nearly 2m high, the shops are 4m apart, all spread over an area of 6m300. The main material of the flower shop is ironwood, which is resistant to termites, after nearly 2 years the shop has remained intact.
Flower shop Now it is a place to sell a lot of rich and diverse colors of flowers. Maybe flowers are taken from Lung- A famous flower village on the outskirts of Hai Phong, or brought back from Da Lat or recently imported flowers from China, the Netherlands… But one thing has not changed. change, that’s 5 flower shop is still the most attractive destination for flower lovers and beauty lovers.
State bank building, Hai Phong branch
Another unique architectural work in Hai Phong is State bank building, Hai Phong branch. This is a building built entirely of natural green stone.
Bank of Indochina (Banque de l’Indochine) is a financial institution established by France on January 21, 1 in Paris with the purpose of issuing banknotes and coins for French colonies in Europe. Asia… After coming to Vietnam, the French built the headquarters of 1875 branches located in Saigon and Hai Phong, in which Indochina Bank Hai Phong branch was opened in 2, headquartered on the riverside. Silver Tam.
This bank’s headquarters was built entirely by the French with monolithic natural green stone, mined in Thuy Nguyen rock (Hai Phong) and Thanh Hoa quarries. The building is designed with 3 floors, including a basement used for storage, the upper 2 floors are used for working and trading.
In addition to 4 large pillars with a diameter of about 0,8 m assembled by 5 monolithic green stone blocks in the foyer, the back side also has supporting pillars to increase the stability of the roof and walls.
Inside the offices on the 2nd and 3rd floors, the base of the walls, floors, and corridors are all tiled and paved with Thanh Hoa ironwood. The corridor on the 3rd floor is about 2,5 m wide, and there are many doors on both sides. Doors open to the outside to catch wind and sun, doors open into the working rooms, contributing to creating ventilation, cool in summer and cozy in winter.
Since 1955, Indochina Bank has been used by the Government of Vietnam as State Bank branch in Hai Room, with address 4 Nguyen Tri Phuong, Hong Bang district.
Statue of General Le Chan
The majesty in front of the city’s exhibition center is Statue of General Le Chan. Hai Phong people always remember the gratitude of the female general who founded the An Bien site – the land that is the forerunner of Hai Phong city today.
The monument was erected to honor female General Le Chan – who was instrumental in building An Bien page, the port city of Hai Phong today. Le Chan was originally from An Bien village, Dong Trieu district, Kinh Mon district, Hai Duong province. Indebted to the enemy country with the prefect To Dinh, she brought some family members to An Duong sea to set up camp, named the old hometown for the new land, recruited talented people to build an army against the invaders. When Hai Ba Trung rebelled, Le Chan and the rebel army achieved many resounding victories. Later, Ma Yuan brought more forces to attack, the militia could not preserve the force, she had to commit suicide to preserve her honor.
Although she has passed away, but from the initial achievements left by Le Chan, through hundreds and thousands of years of expansion, at first just a small fishing village, An Bien has grown into a Hai Phong that not only radiates economic but also social and cultural aspects. Every Hai Phong citizen, wherever he is, when it comes to his hometown, has a pride in being a descendant of this talented and loyal female general.
Statue of General Le Chan was started construction on November 30, 11, inaugurated on December 1999, 31, the bronze statue, 12 meters high, weighs 2000 tons.
Hai Phong Cathedral
Hai Phong Cathedral with the title Queen of the Most Holy Rosary is the cathedral church of Hai Phong Diocese located at 46 Hoang Van Thu Street, Quang Trung Ward, Hong Bang District, Hai Phong City.
Although Catholicism has been present for a long time and has a far-reaching influence on Hai Phong. However, it was not until the 20s of the 47th century that a large-scale church was built in Hai Phong. The church was built in Gothic style 17m long, 28m wide. The church square bell tower is 1m high[XNUMX].
After being inaugurated, experiencing many ups and downs, the church was degraded and damaged. In 2000, the parish priest made an application to renovate, repair and upgrade the entire interior of the church and keep the original architecture.
Up to now, the cathedral, bell tower, campus have been decorated and repaired synchronously, is one of the big and beautiful churches of Hai Phong city.
Hai Phong City Museum
Hai Phong Museum was built in 1919, has beautiful architecture, designed in Gothic style. Hai Phong Museum was officially inaugurated on December 20, 12. Through more than 1959 documents and artifacts displayed in 3 rooms, with an area of over 15m120, the City Museum presents in a general and systematic way the development stages of Hai Phong history.
Hai Phong Museum It is known as the place to introduce historical-revolutionary traditions, to introduce the cultural identities of the land and Hai Phong people. In addition, this place is also a place where regular research activities on climate, soil, soil, archaeological relics, historical and cultural relics take place. The most remarkable are the generations of cadres Hai Phong Museum dedicated and has collected nearly 20.000 artifacts. In which can be seen in addition to historical artifacts, there are also archaeological relics proving the long-standing culture of Hai Phong. It is these contributions that have made scientific research and science education effective.
Hai Phong Station
After capturing Tonkin, the French colonialists began colonial exploitation. Railways are the main means of transport. To connect Hanoi with Hai Phong, the French built a 102 km long railway connecting these two cities. On June 16, 6, the entire route was officially put into operation and was accompanied by the birth of Hai Phong station.
On October 21, 10, after attending the Fontainebleau conference, returning to Hai Phong Port, President Ho Chi Minh came to Hai station Room and depart for Hanoi capital.
After the Dien Bien Phu campaign in 1954, the French agreed to withdraw all their troops back home. Hai Phong is the last point of the Northern Railway still occupied. Along with people, workers of Hai Phong railway area, station workers had 12 struggles to protect machinery and materials. On May 13, Vietnamese troops took over Hai Phong railway station. On the morning of May 5, 15, the station operated normally, welcoming trains carrying soldiers and officials to take over the city; Hanoi – Hai Phong route resumes operation as usual.
Hai Phong Station (with the main gate at Luong Khanh Thien street, Ngo Quyen district), is one of the most beautiful buildings in Hai Phong, and also one of the most beautiful train stations left by the French in Vietnam.
Hai Phong Station is currently the main train station in Hai Phong city, Vietnam. Hai Phong Station is the last passenger station on the Hanoi – Hai Phong railway line. Besides, Hai Phong station There is also a railway running to Hai Phong port carrying goods from the port to inland areas by rail.
Nghe Temple located in the center of Hai Phong city, is the place to worship General Le Chan, about 500m from the Opera House.
Relics ĐNghe An, a temple dedicated to female general Le Chan, who has publicly discovered and created Hai Phong land is located in the center of Hai Phong city. Legend has it that she lived wise and died sacred. When she threw herself into the river, she turned to stone and floated on the surface of Kinh Thay River. From the river in Dong Trieu, her old hometown, to Da wharf (now Binh wharf), she floats and spins on the water. The people of An Bien village knew that she had been declared a saint, so they invited each other to carry a pole, go to the river to pick it up and carry the sacred stone back. Carrying to the present Nghe Temple area, the sky suddenly broke out in a storm. The villagers chose that fallen rock area to build a temple for her. At first, the temple was just a small shrine with thatched roof. In 1919, the new Nghe Temple was built as spaciously as it is today.
Visit Nghe Temple, you will come across 2 unique objects that are Khanh stone and Collapsed stone. Khanh is made of a monolithic stone slab 5cm thick, which is separated into the shape of a khanh (1m high, 1,6m wide). On the front, there are two dragons adoring the moon and clouds flying around. The back is engraved with flying clouds and water waves, both sides have 2 round knobs, high convex is a place to type. When tapped, there is a soft ringing sound. Every year at the temple, there is also a memorial festival for female general Le Chan on the 2th to the 8th day of the 10nd lunar month, attracting a large number of tourists to visit the monument, commemorate
Hai Phong Opera House
Hai Phong City Theater Built in 1904, is one of the three major theaters built according to French architecture in Vietnam.
This is one of the three major theaters in Vietnam built according to French architecture. During the French colonial period, the Opera House was a place of political and cultural activities of the French and rich natives. Only the troupes from France or famous troupes in the country can perform here and only the rich can afford to buy tickets.
Located in the city center, the theater is 2 floors high, has 100 doors and windows, corridor, lobby,… has a stage with a 400-seat auditorium. On the second floor there are Gothic arched doors. The ceiling of the theater is dome-shaped, creating echoes and enhancing the height of the theater. The vaulted ceiling is lavishly decorated with flower baskets and inscribed with the names of famous European musicians and actors: Mozart, Betthoven, Moliere…
The beauty inside the Theater is enhanced by the architectural style of the French civilization of the XNUMXth century. The beauty of the outside of the Theater shows the development of a modern society: there is a large square, a flower garden in front, an artistic fountain, and colorful flower lights stretching on the branches of the phoenix. . The harmonious combination of modern and ancient creates a beautiful, impressive and charming Theater for visitors.
Hai Phong City Theater is also a witness of the historical period of the resistance war against the French. On August 23, 8, tens of thousands of Hai Phong people gathered and demonstrated at the City Theater to establish a revolutionary government, marking a milestone in Hai Phong’s revolutionary history. Also here, on November 1945, 20, a fierce battle took place to protect the city, protect the Theater of our troops from the aggression of the French army. This is an important first exercise for the army and people of the whole country in general and Hanoi capital in particular, preparing for the whole country to fight against the French colonialists (November 11, 1946).
House of trumpets
Those who were born and raised in the Port city, perhaps few people do not know about the project Ken’s house located in the strip of Nguyen Du flower garden. After being built by the French, Hai Phong’s Ken house was ranked in one of the ten most famous “bagua” architectures in Vietnam, along with the Octagonal Pavilion in the Temple of Literature – Quoc Tu Giam, with Lang and Bao pagodas. Vietnam Military Museum, with Thien Mu Pagoda, Water Tower (Phan Thiet)…
Ken’s House Designed in a circular shape with 8 columns extending in 8 directions, the bright red tiled roof under the tree resembles the shape of a Vietnamese communal house, surrounded by a small grass garden, creating an airy and peaceful campus. The 2-storey pyramidal architecture suggests a continuous upward development. Although there is no door, but due to the special architecture of Ken’s House, the ceiling and floor are flat, so the sound emitted from the Ken’s house travels very far.
In 1960, the work Ken’s house was demolished, making way for the current Opera House Square. Since then, the name of the Ken family is also rarely mentioned. Up to now, Ken’s house is back in harmony, it has become a special public cultural rendezvous every weekend of the city. However, the Ken house is now not only a name for Ken artists, but it has been and is being expanded by the Department of Culture, Sports and Tourism with a variety of art forms such as Xam singing, Cheo singing, dance…
On every weekend, even though the time of artistic activities is only short (1 hour. session), but as is familiar, every Saturday and Sunday morning, people who love music flock to the side. Ken’s house to enjoy with your own pleasure.